Thursday, October 7, 2010

It feels like fall! Wait... it's still 75?

When I first moved in I was told that the air conditioning units in the house might get taken out by their owner. Well, today while I was teaching I had to give my key up so that they could take it out. I figured it would happen eventually, so now I got a fan from my classroom that we never use and I was told that I will have screens in my windows by Saturday (we'll see though). I really want the screens though so that I don't have a ton of bugs in my room and so I don't increase my chances of dengue...

Anyways, my kids keep showing up to school in hoodies, jackets, and sweatshirts. Even to me it feels like it is a lot cooler the past week or so, I mean it's still hot, but cooler. I thought it was in the 60's but when I looked up online it says 75 degrees. And this is at night once the sun has already gone down! haha. I remember when I was little I couldn't wait til it was 70 degrees so that I could go swimming! Now I feel like it is fall and would not want to swim in this.

Other news, I started an "I can tie my shoes club" today and so far I think it will be a big success. Basically no one has velcro shoes here and with 36 kids asking me to tie their shoes all the time... I needed to think of something! When a student learns to tie his/her shoes they have to shoe my at recess or lunch and then they get to color a tennis shoe and put their name in the middle, then put it on the wall. So far I have about 12 students who can do it and I feel like everyone is really excited to go home and ask their parents to teach them! Today I had recess duty and I saw a group of kids sitting down all working on tying shoes. It was so cute to see some of the kids helping out the ones who didn't get it yet.

I wish I could remember more stories about kids specifically, but it's tough to remember and I don't have time to write them down in the moment! But I'll keep working on it, because there are a lot of cute things that happen all day! :)

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of shoe lace club!

    I might just start it with my KG kids! haha!
    and maybe a wipe your nose club...and wash your hands club? haha!

    and btw..i feel the same! Many cool things happen at school with the kids..but by the time I come home, I totally forget about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think you should start a tie your shoes club! It makes your job easier too so you don't have to tie so many shoes!

    We need a way to record all of the cool stuff that happens so we can talk about it later!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont know if you still anwser these comments. Anyways I plan to go there and teach at that school. I want to get an air conditioner. Was that one just a regular window unit? Do you know if he bought it in Juticalpa or did he have to go to Tegus to get it.

    ReplyDelete